Stereotypes about Peru

When someone talks about Peru, if you have any idea  about this country, I could bet that, at least one of these 3 things will come to your mind:
1.Inkas
2. Machu Picchu
3. Ceviche

Peruvians are extremely proud of these 3 things, however they are very proud of so many different things and they will be so glad if you like some others!

I will have posts dedicated to each one of those things but I would like to give you a taste of what other things will define Peru that are related to these 3 topics.

1. Inkas - Differently from what most people think Inka wasn´t how every person that lived in Machu Picchu was called. The Inkas were the governors of the Quechua people, but many people still call them the Inka people.
What foreigners usually don´t know is that the "Inkas" were a civilization hugely well developed for that moment in time but they were also conquerors.  So they basically took over some other civilizations that lived in the area, that at their moments took over some even more ancient ones.



Me in Machu Pichu - July 2016
2. Machu Picchu - This city was built taking into account lots of scientific and technological knowledge that their civilization developed or acquired when conquering other peoples.
Peru is a very rich place in terms of archeology and people are still excavating and finding new informations about those civilizations.
Whoever would ask me about tips for going to Peru I would always question how much time and money they are willing to invest. If those 2 things were not a problem I would probably suggest the person to vist a few archeological sites from pre-inka civilizations before they go to Machu Picchu. That helps you do build an understanding of how the "Inkas" developed so much.
To get to know more about the Inka civilizations I suggest you to read this article and if you are interested in the pre-inka civilization check out this one.






Storage rooms in Chanchan Arqueological Site in Trujillo where I lived - This is an example of a Pre-Inka civilization


3. Ceviche
I haven´t met many peruvians that don´t like Ceviche, however there is so much more typical food to this country than only ceviche. I have to say that, personally, ceviche is not one of my favourite ones. I would probably leave that post for a Chupe de Langostinos or an Ají de Gallina.

Daily food in Peru is usually simple and are variations of each other. Lots of chicken and some beef are the base of peruvian food with different potato or rice dishes as sides.
The peruvian food that made into to the world is the most "special" based on fish, seafood and some of what they call "Comida criolla" that is composed of goat, duck, beef and others.
Apart from these, different areas of Peru will have different types of meat like Alpaca, for example.

Stereotypes from a country are usually somethings that people relate that country to, but it is important that we don´t try to define them by those things.
If you want to know more about Peru keep on coming around and reading the articles and let me know what you think about them.

PS.: Thanks to my friend Juan who checked all the information I provided in this post.

Comments

RUFINA NUNEZ said…
Thank you, Daniel for your good explanation about Peru and tipical food. I enjoy being briends and I promise to read more and practice my portuguese.
See you.
Mirian (Rufina is my first name)
Daniel Thomás said…
Hi Mirian,
thank you for your comment, let me know if you think there is something to add or correct
Miss you

Popular posts from this blog

Cozinhando e comendo...